Royal Challengers Bangalore are the Arsenal F.C. of IPL. Like the Gunners, the Royal Challengers Bangalore consistently finish in the top 4 but fail to win trophies. Royal Challengers Bangalore are an improved team after their below par performances in 2008. In 2009,they came from bottom two in 2008 to be the runners up in 2009 under the captaincy of Anil Kumble. This time around,Royal Challengers have a new captain in Virat Kohli. Can the Royal Challengers Bangalore spring a surprise by winning the IPL for the first time? Cricmatez.com brings you the complete preview of the Royal Challengers Bangalore and their chances in IPL 2013.
IPL 2013 Team Preview : Royal Challengers Bangalore
Royal Challengers Bangalore Squad for IPL 2013
Indian Players representing Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Virat Kohli
- Cheteshwar Pujara
- Zaheer Khan
- Abhimanyu Mithun
- Saurabh Tiwary
- Arun Karthick
- Mayank Agarwal
- Syed Muhammad
- Vinay Kumar
- Harshal Patel
- KP Appanna
- Karun Nair
- Vijay Zol
- Prashant Parameswaran
- Sunny Sohal
- Abhinav Mukund
- Jaydev Unadkat
- Pankaj Singh
- RP Singh
- Sandeep Warrier
- Murali Karthik
- Sheldon Jackson
Overseas Players representing Royal Challengers Bangalore
- Abraham Benjamin De Villiers
- Tilakratne Dilshan
- Muttiah Muralitharan
- Ravi Rampaul
- Chris Gayle
- Daniel Vettori
- Andrew Mcdonald
- Christopher Barnwell
- Moises Henriques
- Daniel Christian
- Virat Kohli is an aggressor, he is not even a touch defensive and has the right mindset required for a captain in this format.
- The team with the best Indian bowling attack with the likes of Zaheer Khan and RP Singh which will come certainly handy given the fact that IPL is played in India.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore have the one of the most dangerous batting order in IPL with the likes of Mayank Agarwal, Chris Gayle, De Vlliers, Kohli in their ranks.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore have great bench strength in their ranks,be it the overseas players or even the domestic players.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore have identified their weakness in their bowling and signed in some good domestic bowlers including one of the best bowlers in IPL RP Singh.
- Murali Karthik seems to be a good addition to the spin department.He along with Syed Mohammed and KP Appanna will be a formidable combo.
- Zaheer Khan’s fitness is a cause of concern for Royal Challengers Bangalore.
- Selection will be key for Royal Challengers Bangalore. When you have such good bench strength, teams do err in selection.
- Virat Kohli does easily get into traps by the opposition as far his behaviour is concerned.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore seems to be over-dependent on Gayle.
Ever since this large storm has joined Royal Challengers Bangalore have become a force to reckon with. He has been immaculately consistent with the bat and contributing with the ball. Chris Gayle is frightening for any bowling attack. Teams cannot come up with any strategy for this West Indian which makes him a devastating player. The worst thing for other teams is even the inside edges and ouside edges clear the field. In 2012,he became the first man to hit 700 runs in an edition of the IPL. When he bats the fielders are mere spectators and the spectators in the stands become fielders. This phenomenon will be evident throughout the IPL!!
Watch Out for
- Virat Kohli – The captain of the team. Besides that, he is one of the finest batsmen in World Cricket today. He has an aggressive style of play. Completely fearless of any bowler. He can stabilize the innings in the middle order when the wickets fall and at the same time he can come up with some big shots to up the run rate. Even Lasith Malinga went for covers when Virat is batting.
- Sandeep Warrier is an unknown commodity to the outside world unless you follow domestic cricket so closely. Sandeep Warrier shot to fame when he got 22 wickets from 5 matches for Kerala in Ranji Trophy. He was called up by BCCI to have a bowl at the Indian batsmen at the nets. Virat Kohli is said to be mighty impressed and made the Royal Challengers signed him with immediate effect. He is young and has the potential to spearhead Indian bowlng line up in the near future.
- AB De Villiers – This man needs no introduction,whether it be IPL fans or World cricket fans. De Villiers is a game changer. He can role-play himself as a finisher,middle order batsman or even as a pinch hitter. He is very dynamic and has all the shots in the books. He can also play some unorthodox shots which others could not have imagined. AB De Villiers is Royal Challengers Bangalore’s Wicket Keeper and also a great fielder.
Royal Challengers Bangalore Possible Playing XI:
Chris Gayle, Mayank Agarwal, Virat Kohli, AB De Villiers(wk), Cheteshwar Pujara, Saurabh Tiwary, Moises Henriques/ Dan Christian, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh/ Vinay Kumar, Murali Karthik/ Sandeep Warrior, Muttiah Muralitharan.
Schedule for Royal Challengers Bangalore in IPL 6:
|4-4-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Mumbai Indians|
|7-4-2013||Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|9-4-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Sunrisers Hyderabad|
|11-4-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kolkata Knight Riders|
|13-4-2013||Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|16-4-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Delhi Daredevils|
|20-4-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Rajasthan Royals|
|23-4-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Pune Warriors India|
|27-4-2013||Mumbai Indians vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|29-4-2013||Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|2-5-2013||Pune Warriors India vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|6-5–2013||Kings XI Punjab vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|10-5-2013||Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|12-5-2013||Kolkata Knight Riders vs Royal Challengers Bangalore|
|14-5-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kings XI Punjab|
|18-5-2013||Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Chennai Super Kings|
*Home team is mentioned first
Can the Royal Challengers Bangalore end their title drought and keep their hands on the coveted Pepsi IPL trophy?