Manchester United: Champions by Numbers
Yes, they have done it! Manchester United has crossed the finish line and are declared as champions of England, for the 20th time (with 13 Premier League Titles including 2012-13 season). And now the closest challengers and defending champions, Manchester City is far behind in the contest. Manchester United’s inaccessible lead declared them as champion of 20|13 (20 titles ad 13 Premier League titles). The margin of victory has been magnificent in Manchester United’s triumph. But how does this title also make them Champions by Numbers also?
- Three with Easy: The hat-trick netted by Robin Van Persie in their game against Aston Villa gave them the inaccessible lead.
- Van Persie, the man who made the difference: Playing his first season for Manchester United, the former Arsenal captain netted 24 goals this season for Manchester United.
When the title was won
Manchester United have wrapped most of their titles before the end of April. It’s the sixth time the league has been secured before the month of May. The earliest in 2001, when Manchester United were out of sight with five rounds to play on April 14th.
- Arsenal’s defeat ensured title in 2001: Manchester United’s 4-2 win over Coventry on 14th April 2001, and Arsenal’s defeat on the same day sealed the top spot for United.
- Seventh Heaven for Alex Ferguson: Now, he got some reason to smile with 7 Premier league titles under his management.
- Record 18-point win in 2000: Manchester United’s 3-1 win over Southampton with four matches left, United went on to win by 18-points clear.
Manchester United’s Premier League Titles:
|Season||Date of Win||Games Left||Point Difference||Title Decided on|
*As of 23-04-2013
During the Premier League era, on six occasions, the title has been won by double figure margin: Manchester United’s win in 1993, 2000, 2001 and 2013, Arsenal in 2004 and Chelsea in 2005. Closest title race was in 1992 , the last season when Manchester City thrashed Manchester United in the final minute of the final day. The only time top two finished on same number of points. It was the most dramatic climax ever in Premier League.
- The more obtainable target is to surpass the club record for the most number of points.
- With the modern three points for a win system, Manchester United have twice gone up to 92 points in a season.
- Their lowest points total in a title-winning season is 74, way back in 1910-11.
- Manchester United have lost four times this year, against Everton, Tottenham, Norwich and Manchester City.
- They were unbeaten in 2010-11 seasons.
- The still have some way to beat their own club best records.
- But Chelsea scored 103 goals in 2009-10 on their way to third title win.