Let us have look at that injured players set to miss out the competition :
STARS WHO MISSED OUT FIFA WORLD CUP 2014
- Frank Ribery (France) : The french playmaker who took on the mantle from Zinedine Zidane has been their inspiration for the last four years of preparation for the world cup. He is the playmaker every team should have. The chances of the French national team for the Fifa world cup rested on this playmaker who plays for Bayern Munich. But destiny again was not his side. He is out of the world cup with a back injury. The Les Blues manager Didier Deschamps have called up mid-fielder Cabella of Montpellier to replace the injured maestro. Injury to Ribery is a double whammy for the Les Blues since they had already left out one of their best playmakers Samir Nasri. France still have some players who can make the difference for them like Pogba and Greizmann. But again they are with little or no experience.
- Radamel Falcao (Colombia) : This world cup will be a big loss to one of the better strikers in the world today, Radamel Falcao. He sufferred from a torn ACL in January, and has not recovered in time. He is one of the most feared attacker today.
- Ilkay Gundogan (Germany) : Gundogan, one of the finest mid-field talents in Europe has been suffering from a chronic back injury that worsened his April ending his season and the ticket to go the world cup. Gundogan is effectively scouted by clubs like Manchester United and Barcelona. Gundogan’s absence will mean more pressure on Gotze, Khedira and Ozil.
- Holger Badstuber(Germany) : Badstuber, rated by Netherlands boss Louis Van Gaal as the best left footed defender in Germany is the centre point of Germany’s defence. He along with Hummels share a very good chemistry with the national team. Badstuber have been suffering from a long standing knee injury which ruled him out for many games in the season for Bayern Munich and now he is nursing his injury back home.
- Marco Reus (Germany) : Marco Reus, one of the hot wingers in the German national team is out of the World Cup with a partially torn ligament in his left ankle. Reus, was tipped by many as the go to man for Germany in versatilty, pace and speed. He is already a star in Europe with great credntials. He netted 16 goals and 13 assists for Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga. The loss of a winger like him is the last thing they wanted having already lost Badstuber and Gundogan to injuries.
- Kevin Strootman (Netherlands) : Kevin Strootman is often an under-rated player in Netherlands. Strootman, the 24 year old mid-fielder who plays for Roma is one of the hot mid-fielders in high demand today. He was talisman for the Netherlands in the qualifiers leading them from the front. But unfortunately, he tore his ACL in March and will miss out the world cup. In Strootman, they had someone who can keep the ball and come up with passes that penetrate. He is very fondly seen by Vaan Gaal.
- Rafael Van Der Vaart (Netherlands) : Rafael Van Der Vaart have been ruled out of the prestigious tournament by a calf injury. With the ruling out of Van Der Vaart, Netherlands have been the hardest hit team by injuries. He was instrumental for Netherlands over these years. He will be sorely missed.
- Theo Walcott (England) : Engaland and Arsenal winger Theo Walcott is ruled out of the World Cup with a knee injury that has been troubling him for long. Just when Walcott was looking in deadly form for Arsenal, he aggravated a knee injury that has been troubling him for long and eventually it was declared that he will miss out the World Cup. Walcott is too good a player to miss out. He brings pace and acceleration in the England attack.
- Riccardo Montolivo (Italy) : Riccardo Montolivo has emerged as one of the best playmakers in Italy since the last World Cup. In the Euro Cup held last time, Italy had an unsung hero – Montolivo. He is the captain of Serie A side AC Milan. He injured his left tibia in the warm up against Ireland and will miss the flight to Brazil. WIth Montolivo injured they will have to find a new playmaker. The trio of De Rossi – Pirlo – Montolivo was seen as the trump card for Italy in the World Cup. The absence of Montolivo is a major thorn in the ass for Italy in the build up to the event.
- Christian Benteke (Belgium) : Christian Benteke over the past few seasons has emerged as the hot striker in ENgland netting 34 goals for Premier League side Aston Villa. Benteke was the go to man for Belgium in the qualifiers. They have been tipped by many as the dark horses of the tournament. Even though, Romelu Lukaku who has been impressive for Belgium is still there in the squad Benteke will be missed. Benteke suffered an achilles injury in April to rule him out of the World Cup.
- Victor Valdes (Spain) : The Barcelona no.1 stopper might not be the first choice keeper, but is out of the world cup. He took a surgery in March and is ruled out for seven months.